Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins



Dear Loyal Blog Readers, I apologize for getting a little behind on posting, but between last weekend's 5k race (we raised $32,000!) and my parent's visit to the District, the blog had to take a back seat. Have no fear, I am back, and I have lots of yummy recipes to share.

I decided to post a breakfast recipe, since a lot of people may be in the midst of trying to plan their mother's day brunch. This is the first recipe I have ever tried from the Barefoot Contessa, and I really liked it. These Blueberry Muffins are really moist and not overly sweet---nothing too complicated or fancy about them. I had never made blueberry muffins before, so I thought this was a good place to start. I currently, have a lot of extra blueberries from Costco sitting in my refrigerator, so I may use that as an excuse to kick things up a notch this weekend and try making these with a streusel topping. Be on the lookout for that.

Here is what you will need:



Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place 16 paper liners in muffin pans. Sort through the blueberries and pick out any stems or spoiled berries.



Step 2: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.



Step 3: With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla, sour cream, and milk.



Step 4: In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.



Step 5: With the mixer on low speed add the flour mixture to the batter and beat until just mixed.



Step 6: Fold in the blueberries with a spatula and be sure the batter is completely mixed.



Step 7: Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pans, filling each cup just over the top, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the muffins are lightly browned on top and a cake tester comes out clean.





Enjoy!!


Full List of Ingredients:
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
8 ounces (about 1 cup) sour cream
1/4 cup milk
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 half-pints fresh blueberries

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to write! I appreciate the feedback.