Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Maple Delight Dressing



I recently had one of my best friend's from High School over for dinner. She was visiting from out of town, and this was the first time I had ever cooked for her. I wanted to go all out, so even the salad dressing was homemade. She took one bite of it and LOVED it. She asked me what the dressing was called (I got this from a family friend year's ago), and I honestly didn't have a name for it. She decided it should be called "maple delight," and I think that describes it pretty well. The dressing isn't overly sweet though, so don't let the name fool you. The combination of maple with the garlic, olive oil, pepper, etc., makes for a complex combination of flavors that will "delight."



Here is what you will need:



Step 1: Place all of the ingredients (except olive oil) in a blender---mayonnaise, maple syrup, vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt, and freshly ground pepper.

Look at that yummy maple syrup...



I used a pretty large clove of garlic..



If you do not own a pepper mill, go out and buy one--it makes such a difference!




Step 2: While the other ingredients are mixing, slowly add the olive oil.



Step 3: Prepare the salad. I use baby greens, granny smith apples, dried cherries, pecans, and a little bit of red onion. If I am preparing this for just a few people, I prepare the salad on individual plates for a nice presentation. Otherwise, I just mix it in a large bowl.



Step 4: Slowly add the dressing and enjoy!




Ingredients for the dressing:
1/4 cup mayonnaise (I use fat free)
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 Tbsp champagne vinegar or white vinegar (I prefer champagne)
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup olive

For the salad:

5 oz.(8cups)baby greens
1-2 Granny Smith apples, peeled,cored, and cut into fine
matchstick strips
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans toasted
1/2 purple or red onion sliced

1 comment:

  1. Well, I officially know what I'm trying next!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write! I appreciate the feedback.