Saturday, March 13, 2010

Filet Mignon with Red Wine Sauce



So here is the recipe for the filet mignon with red wine sauce that I mentioned in my last post. The filet mignon was so tender that it actually didn't need the sauce, but it added a nice touch. I got the recipe for the sauce from Martha Stewart. I tested a little bit of the sauce before spooning it on top of the filet, just to make sure I liked it. I suggest you do the same.

Here is what you will need.



Step 1: Cover both sides (top and bottom) of the steaks with freshly cracked pepper and salt (more pepper than salt). Spread a generous amount on each side and then press it into the steaks. I did this twice to create a nice peppered crust. There was excess salt and pepper on the cutting board, so I kind of rolled the steaks on their sides to get a little bit of the seasoning all around it.



Step 2: Heat the grill with at least 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium-high heat. I don't really measure, but instead, I just make sure there is enough to spread around the pan. Cook the steaks on each side for 3-5 minutes. As you can see my steaks are a little thicker, so I cooked it for 5 minutes on each side.



Step 3: Flip the steaks over to cook on the other side. I cooked mine to medium which is about 160 degrees. (How beautiful is my new grill pan, btw? I'm so excited about it!)



Step 4: Now, I say this is "step 4" but really you can start cooking the sauce at the same time as you start cooking the steak. It is really easy. Place 1 cup of red wine in a small saucepan; boil until reduced to 1/4 cup, 8 to 10 minutes.



Step 5: Remove from heat; add 2 tablespoons cold cut-up butter, and swirl pan until butter is melted and sauce is thickened, about 1 minute. Season with coarse salt.




Step 6: Spoon the sauce lightly over the steak and serve with roasted potatoes. Enjoy!



Full List of Ingredients:
2 filet mignons (5 to 6 ounces each, about 1 1/2 inches thick)
Olive oil
Coarse salt
Peppercorns

For the red wine sauce:

2 tablespoons of Butter
1 cup Red wine
Coarse salt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to write! I appreciate the feedback.