Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Pork Tenderloin with Mango Salsa


Hi friends!

I am sure you have been wondering where I have been, and I promise I have not abandoned my blog. Actually, exciting changes will be coming soon, so I am busy trying to work on my new website. Blogger has been good to me, but now that I feel more comfortable in the blogging world, I am beginning to feel a bit limited with blogger’s capabilities. So have patience with me because I think it will be worth it. I have also been savoring the last bits of a summer. Between weddings, baptisms, and family reunions, I am a little behind on logging all of my recent meals, but I am going to try hard to catch up.

I made this recipe for Pork Tenderloin and Mango Salsa a few weeks ago for a going away dinner that I hosted for a couple of dear friends who we were sad to say goodbye to, but HOPEFULLY they will be back soon ;-).

In the summer, I love complimenting meat and fish with fruit salsas. The mango salsa in this recipe can be made a day ahead, and the marinade can be made the morning of, so this doesn’t require too much last-minute preparation which makes it an ideal dinner party go-to recipe. I usually grill it on the stove top just a few minutes before guests are expected to arrive, and then while it cooks in the oven, people have had plenty of time to enjoy a few appetizers and sip on some wine.


For the Mango Salsa....

Step 1: Prepare the mango salsa. As I said in the introduction, this can be done a day in advance. Chop the  mango, bell pepper, red onion, jalapeno, and cilantro. Combine in a bowl.


Step 2: Add lime juice, rice wine vinegar, ginger, and garlic. Season with black pepper. Allow to sit for at least 45 minutes before serving.


Next, prepare the marinade for the tenderloins...


Here is what you will need:


Step 1: Combine the lime juice, 1/2 cup of the olive oil, honey and garlic in a food processor and pulse several times to puree.



Step 2: Put the tenderloins in a large plastic storage bag and pour in the marinade. Seal the bag and refrigerate for at least 1 hour but ideally, I let it sit for 4 hours and rotate the bag ever so often (there are no pictures of this step, my camera battery died, but this is pretty simple).


 
Time to Prepare the Tenderloins!

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Heat a large nonstick ovenproof skillet over high heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Remove the tenderloins from the marinade and pat dry. Season the tenderloins on all sides with the salt and pepper.


Step 2: When the skillet is hot, add the tenderloins and sear, turning to ensure even browning, about 4 minutes.

Step 3: Transfer to the oven and cook for 18 to 20 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 145 degrees F.


Step 4: Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.


ENJOY!

Recipe Courtesy: Emeril Lagasse

Ingredients for the Tenderloins
3/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 pork tenderloins trimmed (about 2 pounds total)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Combine the lime juice, 1/2 cup of the olive oil, honey and garlic in a food processor and pulse several times to puree. Put the tenderloins in a large plastic storage bag and pour in the marinade. Seal the bag and refrigerate for 1 hour (or up to 4 hours).


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Heat a large nonstick ovenproof skillet over high heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Remove the tenderloins from the marinade and pat dry. Season the tenderloins on all sides with the salt and pepper. When the skillet is hot, add the tenderloins and sear, turning to ensure even browning, about 4 minutes. Transfer to the oven and cook for 18 to 20 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 145 degrees F. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.

Ingredients for the Mango Salsa
1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) diced mango

1/2 cup small diced red bell pepper
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 teaspoons minced ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Place all the ingredients in a non-reactive medium bowl and stir to blend. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the salsa to macerate at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes. Remove the plastic wrap and serve with the tenderloins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to write! I appreciate the feedback.