Monday, April 19, 2010

Santa Fe Chicken and My George Foreman




While I wish every weeknight dinner could consist of home-made salad dressing, slowly cooked risotto, and 3-layer cake, the reality is something very different when life gets in the way. This post features a super easy marinade from Rosie Daley that is ideal for the grill, but in this case, my George Foreman grill works as a fine substitute. The dressing has kind of a tangy southwestern flavor, so when I want to make a more elaborate meal out of it, I serve it with slow-cooked Cuban black beans and rice. Tonight, I just served it with 5-minute couscous.

I feel I should tell the story of how I came to own a George Foreman grill for no particular reason other than as a tribute to my dad. My parents immigrated from Spain back in the 70s, and while I give them credit for how well they have immersed themselves in the American lifestyle, they have somehow managed to remain completely oblivious to cultural trends and phenomenons.

I told my dad that while I really enjoy living in an apartment in the city, sometimes I really miss being able to just grill some burgers out in the backyard on a summer night. My dad took to the Internet, determined to find a solution. He searched and searched, and finally, he found a grill that I could use indoors. This grill supposedly made burgers that tasted like they just came right off the grill. I was perplexed/amazed. When a box arrived from Bed, Bath, and Beyond for my birthday, I could not stop laughing when I opened it only to find a George Foreman Grill. This was my dad's solution to my grilling problem. In his mind, he had discovered a totally new product. I have to admit, it's not quite the same as a nice charcoal grill, but it does make a really juicy burger. That night, we even plugged the grill into an outlet on our rooftop and pretended like we were actually hosting a BBQ. Thanks, Dad!


My dad, in his "wild youth" as a Galician bagpipe player. I think they were sort of like the Spanish version of the Beatles:


(second person from the left)



Here is what you will need:



Step 1: Slice the limes



(I love this juicer)



Step 2: Start dumping in the ingredients--low-sodium soy sauce, olive oil, chili powder, cumin seed, ground coriander, minced garlic, honey, white wine, and cilantro. (The original recipe says to wait until the end to pour in the white wine right before cooking, but I include it with the marinade.)




Step 3: Cover and refrigerate for one hour or up to two days (the longer the better--I like to make this in the morning). Depending on how you are cooking this--grill, broiler, foreman--preheat as necessary.



Step 4: I cooked this on a Foreman grill, and since it keeps the chicken really juicy I didn't need to baste. I have cooked it under a broiler before, and according to the directions---Broil the chicken under a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes, basting it with the juices to keep it moist.



The Foreman doing it's magic...



Step 5: Enjoy! Leftovers make great sandwiches or salads.


Ingredients for the Marinade:
Juice from 3 limes
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
6 cloves garlic , minced
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup white wine
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves

1 packet of chicken breasts (they only had chicken tenders when I went, but I almost prefer that).

Topping Suggestions:
Sour cream
1 lime , sliced into 6 thin slices
Fresh salsa or Papaya/Fruit Salsa

Side dish:
Black Beans and Rice

1 comment:

  1. i got 5 george foreman grills as wedding gifts, plus a panini grill. weird!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write! I appreciate the feedback.